Sunday, June 6, 2010

Vegas

So Vegas was a blast - Obviously, I can't spill the beans about all the details, otherwise what would be the point? ;)  I will talk food though!  I would go back to Vegas for an eating vacation.  The restaurants! Everything is so over the top, and the service is incredible.  Now, there were a couple meals of note.  First, the 12 of us - yup, 12 girls in Vegas = serious shananigans, went to Spago, the Wolfgang Puck resto in Cesar's Palace for dinner.  Check out the current menu.
We were greeted with complimentary champagne when our table wasn't ready, followed by a round of flatbreads, one margherita one mushroom - really good, impossiby thin, full of fresh tomato flavour, a perfect start.


To start, I chose the GRILLED OCTOPUS SALAD
(White Bean Ragout, Preserved Lemon, Toasted Sourdough Bread, Extra Virgin Olive Oil and Parsley).  WOW! I love seafood and have never had octopus before, but a few of ladies at the office go on about how tender and delicious it is. They aren't lying! The tentacles were grilled and sliced in rounds, they almost look like little scallops; served with bitter greens, an herby and VERY lemony vinegarette, and perfect toast.  What a beautiful start! The octopus was so tender and had such a satisfying texture, much more dense than scallops.  If you have the oppotunity, ty it!


I chose the special for my main.  Seared Duck Breast, on top of I forget exactly, but I'm almost positive it was polenta, with spring peas, morrel mushrooms, and a rhubarb sauce.  Nom nom nom! Incredible! The duck was so flavourful, it was rubbed with some sort of spice rub that I could not put my finger on, somehing like a chinese 5 spice, but not exactly.  The polenta was pillowy and rich all at once, perfectly seasoned.  What a great mix of seasonal spring flavours! (Las Vegas seasonal flavour I don't know...)


Below is a few of the photos from the other gals - clockwise startig with top left:
BLUE CHEESE CRUSTED PRIME FILET MIGNON -Potato Lyonnaise, Confit Bacon, Cipollini Onions, Spinach and Balsamic Reduction
ROASTED HALF FREE RANGE ORGANIC CHICKEN -Yukon Gold Potatoes, Goat Cheese, Wild Mushrooms and Natural Jus
VEGETARIAN ENTREE (not on the menu! and not quite sure what was in, pretty though)
GRILLED RARE YELLOWFIN TUNA - Fire Roasted Bell Peppers & Calçots Onions, Braised Artichokes, Fennel, Spanish Green Olive Tapenade, Piment D'Espelette and Romesco Sauce



Unfortunately, we had no time for dessert, we were on a serious party schedule - you know how it is ;)  The portions were ridiculously large - I mean, who needs a half chicken!? We were full anyway.

I don't have any more photos of the food in Vegas but some of the other highlights were:
Fried Macaroni and Cheese Balls - ooey gooey white mac and cheese coated with bread crumbs and tossed in the fryer, resulting in perfect little balls of cheesy heavenly goodness.
Fried parmesan mozerella risotto sticks - see above, substitute pasta for risotto :) mmmmm.....
Lobster chowder with oyster crackers and perfect creamy coleslaw - this is the first thing I ate when we arrived.  What a welcome!
A classic Cinnabon and coffee for breakfast....whatever, Vegas is an indulgance in itself, so when in Rome!

I'm gonna post this one up, and work on a new post for non-Vegas related food talk!

Go to Vegas and Eat!


1 comment:

  1. It's an amazing article in support of all the internet visitors; they will take advantage from it I am sure.

    my web blog; this website

    ReplyDelete